The Examen is a method of reviewing your day in the presence of God. It has five steps:
1. Pray for light: Begin by asking God for the grace to pray, to see and to understand.
2. Give thanks: Look at your day in a spirit of gratitude. Everything is a gift from God.
3. Review the day: Guided by the Holy Spirit, look back on your day. Pay attention to your experience. Look for God in it.
4. Look at what’s wrong: Face up to failures and shortcomings. Ask forgiveness for your faults. Ask God to show you ways to improve.
5. Resolution for the day to come: Where do you need God today? What can you do today?